Data Tool Methodology
This tool draws on publicly available FAO and RFMO global production data for fisheries and aquaculture. These data pertain to 2020 production. Species groupings included in this analysis include fish, crustaceans, molluscs and other aquatic animals, seaweeds as well as other aquatic plants, but exclude aquatic mammals and reptiles.
Collaboration member organizations provided information on the volume certified, rated, or in assessment under their programs. The Sustainable Fisheries Partnership provided information on the species and countries that fall within the scope of the sectors defined by its Target 75 initiative. Specific production data sources included:
- Commission for the Conservation of Southern Bluefin Tuna (CCSBT)
- International Commission for the Conservation of Atlantic Tunas (ICCAT)
- Western and Central Pacific Fisheries Commission (WCPFC)
- International Seafood Sustainability Foundation (ISSF)
- Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO)
Data Tool Analysis
Certification and ratings coverage was assigned to the relevant species and country in the production dataset. Decision rules were then applied to deal with coverage overlaps between the programs. These rules are described in detail in the tool’s data manual. These data represent a current snapshot of certification and ratings coverage of global seafood production as of July 2022.